NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM
davidan davidan is offline
David
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 17
Default Help Identifying Team Signed Balls

I have a couple of Official MLB Balls autographed by entire teams from the early 1980's. One from the Athletics (includes Henderson, Billy Martin, etc.) I believe Joe Morgan is on it as well so may be 83/84 time frame.

I also have a similar one with Sparky and the Tigers.

2 Major questions
what is the best, most official way to identify, certify these?
over time even though they have been in cases a good number of the signatures have faded to varying degrees. How does this impact value, on these generally?

Best,

David
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2019, 05:45 PM
bigj7489 bigj7489 is offline
John E.
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidan View Post
I have a couple of Official MLB Balls autographed by entire teams from the early 1980's. One from the Athletics (includes Henderson, Billy Martin, etc.) I believe Joe Morgan is on it as well so may be 83/84 time frame.

I also have a similar one with Sparky and the Tigers.

2 Major questions
what is the best, most official way to identify, certify these?
over time even though they have been in cases a good number of the signatures have faded to varying degrees. How does this impact value, on these generally?

Best,

David
If Morgan is on the A's ball it's absolutely '84...that's the only year he played here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM
davidan davidan is offline
David
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 17
Default

Ok, it's not a 1984 because Morgan is not on it. He is on a separate ball I have that has just 3 signatures:

Rickey Henderson, Joe Morgan and Davey Lopes.

I am thinking it's an 82, but again how best to confirm, certify balls?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,336
Default

What I normally do, is go to baseball-reference.com. Once there, I can pull up each player who signed the ball, and determine what years they played for that team. Once i have a few of them, I can begin narrowing the time-frame the ball could be from, until I, hopefully, get one year where they all were there together.

It's best when doing this, to go for the lesser known players, as they were probably on the team for fewer years, making it easier/quicker to pinpoint one specific year they were all teammates.

Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with Leon, veloce, shammus, lharris3600, jimivintage, sb1, seablaster.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
T205 Adkins, Donohue, Fisher, Graham (Cubs), A. Leifield, Wilhelm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 AM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
What I normally do, is go to baseball-reference.com. Once there, I can pull up each player who signed the ball, and determine what years they played for that team. Once i have a few of them, I can begin narrowing the time-frame the ball could be from, until I, hopefully, get one year where they all were there together.

It's best when doing this, to go for the lesser known players, as they were probably on the team for fewer years, making it easier/quicker to pinpoint one specific year they were all teammates.

Steve
+1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:07 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 520
Default

Billy Martin was the A's manager 1980-1982
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM
davidan davidan is offline
David
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 17
Default

Thanks Guys I am pretty sure the A's ball is an 82 based on this. Still working on the Tigers Ball
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 AM
roarfrom34 roarfrom34 is offline
Bill H@e1ig
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidan View Post
Thanks Guys I am pretty sure the A's ball is an 82 based on this. Still working on the Tigers Ball
post photos if you'd like the board's help
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.


ebay GSB